Hi there, I'm Justin and this is my site (thanks for popping by). I'm based in Victoria, BC, Canada. I have been a Linux geek for 20+ years, since about the age of 10 (back when Slackware v2 was bleeding edge, think mid 90's). Back then, I hung out on IRC all the time, the Internet and IRC helped me quickly learn Linux, TCP/IP, and programming. I am very thankful for the internet, as it has allowed me to learn so much, and I want to pass that along to others via this site.
Having Linux skills at a young age opened many doors. I was able to work at several fast growing local startups, the Canadian Government, and two very cool Silicon Valley tech companies! The bulk of my experience was obtained working as a Support Analyst for the National Research Council's, Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics (NRC-HIA), in the Canadian Astronomy Data Centre (CADC). That is a mouthful -- I know. I helped to look after data acquisition servers for lots of Astronomy related stuff. I was later assigned to a National team tasked with looking after High Performance Computing (HPC) infrastructure for the National Research Council (NRC). From NRC, I later worked at Docker, and then Google. I now work on this website full-time.
My mission is simple. I want to save you time, money, and effort. Cloud Infrastructure, DevOps tools, and Automation is rapidly changing our landscape. Beyond the fundamentals, you cannot learn about the latest tools in school anymore. You need to self-learn by taking on-line courses or your skills will quickly lag.
By researching and compiling simple, easily consumed screencasts, tailor made for DevOps, Sysadmins, and Developers folks, looking to learn about Containers, Cloud Infrastructure, or Automation tools, I can save you the time, money, and effort of doing it yourself. You could easily spend 20+ hours just learning the basics of a single new tool, and where is fits into the bigger picture.
I'll spend that 20+ hours for you, distill it down into something around 10-20 minutes, with an easy to understand demo or lab. I not only want to explain what it is, but why you would use it, and where it fits into the bigger picture. I want to create the type of site that I wish existed! Something just technical enough to get you pointed in the right direction.
Subscriptions going live Tue Feb 5th, 2019.
Subscriptions guarantee episodes are created and released on a regular schedule. This site is run by a single person, and it takes tons of work to create high-quality content on a weekly basis. So, your support through a subscription really helps!
- What does the release schedule look like? Four episodes are released per month, one free, and three Pro episodes (unlocked via a subscription). Having an active subscription grants you access to all content on the site.
- What do I get with a membership? Besides access to all content on the site, both free and paid content, you will also get episode transcripts, and all commands and codes shown in the episode.
- What types of plans do you offer? Right now, there are two options, a $9 USD monthly plan, or a 99$ yearly plan. Both, automatically renew every term, either monthly or yearly, until you cancel your subscription.
- What about receipts? You will receive an email receipt when you first subscribe, and subsequent emails as your subscription is renewed, either monthly, or yearly.
- Are my credit card details secure? Payments are processed through stripe.com, which is a major credit card processor, used by many extremely popular websites. I never actually see your credit card details, they are processed by Stripe,
- Do you have a RSS feed for subscription based content? Not yet, but I'm working on it.
- Can I cancel my membership? Yes, you can cancel at anytime by logging into your account, and clicking "Cancel Subscription". There are no fees, your credit card will not be charged again, and your subscription will remain active for the duration which you paid.
- Do you offer refunds? Yes. I try really hard to create content which you will find useful, but if you are unhappy, just send me an email, and I will refund your money.
- What happens if you miss a week off? Subscription will automatically be credited with a one week extension.
I have been asked, "what tools do you use", here you go:
- Ubuntu (desktop)
- Kazam (desktop recording)
- Audacity (audio recording)
- Kdenlive (edit the audio/video together)
- Screenkey (keystrokes on screen)
- Decrypt (intro screen)
- Shaky (ascii diagram to png file)
- Asciiflow (diagram tool input for shaky)
- Gimp (graphics)
- Sublime Text (text editor)
- OpenOffice Writer (transcripts)
Please see the Terms and Conditions of Use or contact me.