Master Plan - 2019
The idea is simple. I want to save you time, money, and effort. Cloud, DevOps, and Automation tooling, are rapidly changing the tech landscape. Beyond the fundamentals, you cannot easily learn about the latest tools in school anymore, as things are moving so fast. So, you need to continually be self-learning, by taking online courses, or your skills will quickly lag.
I research and compile, short and simple, easily consumed screencasts, tailor made for Sysadmins and DevOps folks. If that sounds like you, then I can likely help, via the content on this site.
You can easily spend many hours, just learning the basics of a single new tool, to understand where is fits into the bigger picture. I'll spend those hours for you, distill it down into something around 10-20 minutes, with an easy to understand demo or lab. I not only want to explain what it is, but why you would use it, and where it fits into the bigger picture. I want to create the type of site that I wish existed!
Hey there, thanks for popping by. I'm Justin and this is my website. I live on the West Coast of Canada. I have been a Linux geek for 20+ years. I am very thankful for the internet, as it has allowed me to learn so much, and I want to pass that along to others via this site.
I have been lucky enough to work for a few fast growing local startups, the research arm of the Canadian Government, Docker, and then Google. I now work full-time on this website (as of early 2019).
Subscriptions guarantee episodes are created and released on a regular schedule. This site is run by a single person, and it takes tons of work to create high-quality content on a weekly basis. So, your support through a subscription really helps! Don't have an account yet? Go signup.
- What does the release schedule look like? Four episodes are released per month, one free, and three Pro episodes (unlocked via a subscription). Having an active subscription grants you access to all content on the site.
- What do I get with a membership? Besides access to all content on the site, both free and paid content, you will also get episode transcripts, and all commands and code shown in the episode.
- What types of plans do you offer? Right now, there are two options, a $9 / monthly (USD) plan, or a $99 / yearly (USD) plan. Both, automatically renew every term, either monthly or yearly, until you cancel your subscription.
- What about receipts? You will receive an email receipt when you first subscribe, and subsequent emails as your subscription is renewed, either monthly, or yearly.
- Are my credit card details secure? Payments are processed through stripe.com, which is a major credit card processor, used by many extremely popular websites. I never actually see your credit card details (besides the card type and the last for digits), as it is processed by Stripe.
- Do you have a RSS feed for subscription based content? Not yet, but I'm working on it.
- Can I cancel my membership? Yes, you can cancel at anytime by logging into your account, and clicking "Cancel Subscription". There are no fees, your credit card will not be charged again, and your subscription will remain active for the duration which you paid.
- Do you offer refunds? Yes. I try really hard to create content which you will find useful. But if you are unhappy, just send me an email, and I will offer a complete refund within 7 days of the purchase date.
- What happens if you miss a week off? Subscription will automatically be credited with a one week extension.
I have been asked, "what tools do you use", here you go:
- Ubuntu (desktop)
- Kazam (desktop recording)
- Audacity (audio recording)
- Kdenlive (edit the audio/video together)
- Screenkey (keystrokes on screen)
- Decrypt (intro screen)
- Shaky (ascii diagram to png file)
- Asciiflow (diagram tool input for shaky)
- Gimp (graphics)
- Sublime Text (text editor)
- OpenOffice Writer (transcripts)
Please see the Terms and Conditions of Use or contact me.